April 4, 2025

Indiana moves to replace Medicaid consulting firm after $1 billion forecasting error

Article origination IPB News
Sen. Chris Garten (R-Charlestown) had been critical of consulting firm Milliman's response to the $1 billion Medicaid forecasting error, though he now says the company was limited by state contract about what it could share publicly. - Brandon Smith / IPB News

Sen. Chris Garten (R-Charlestown) had been critical of consulting firm Milliman's response to the $1 billion Medicaid forecasting error, though he now says the company was limited by state contract about what it could share publicly.

Brandon Smith / IPB News

The state of Indiana is preparing to replace the consulting firm it works with to help prepare its Medicaid forecasts.

That comes after a forecasting miss in 2023 that put Indiana $1 billion off the mark for Medicaid funding.

The state indicated this week it will enter negotiations with Deloitte Consulting for its Medicaid actuarial services, replacing Milliman.

Lawmakers of both parties had focused significant criticism on Milliman after the $1 billion forecasting error.

Sen. Chris Garten (R-Charlestown) was one of those lawmakers. He now says information-sharing restrictions may have been the culprit — restrictions being removed in legislation this session.

“It doesn’t sound like it was as much Milliman’s fault as we originally thought it was,” Garten said. “Now I say all that to say: Change and competition’s good in all these contracts and I trust the executive branch to make a good, firm decision on that.”

READ MORE: Medicaid officials outline forecasting changes, update lawmakers on waitlist progress
 


In a statement, Milliam said it was "naturally disappointed" in the state's decision to move to a different consulting firm. The firm also praised the recent efforts of the Braun administration and legislature to "reestablish regular Medicaid reporting to support strong actuarial forecasting in the future."

"We would like to make clear that the $1 billion discrepancy reported in December 2023 was not in any way attributable to Milliman," the statement said. "Budget forecasts are complex and rely heavily on the quality and completeness of the data provided to the vendor."

Rep. Ed DeLaney (D-Indianapolis) said he’s still not satisfied the underlying problem has been resolved.

“The fact that someone was blamed is great. But is it the right person and why, are the questions that are not being answered to this day,” DeLaney said.

Indiana will get a new Medicaid forecast later this month.
 

This story has been updated with a statement from Milliman.

Brandon is our Statehouse bureau chief. Contact him at bsmith@ipbs.org or follow him on Twitter at @brandonjsmith5.

Support independent journalism today. You rely on WFYI to stay informed, and we depend on you to make our work possible. Donate to power our nonprofit reporting today. Give now.

 

Related News

Medicare patients can save money with proposed budget cut, but rural hospitals are concerned
Lawmakers remove several controversial policies from 'comprehensive' health costs plan
Committee makes changes to HIP work reporting exceptions, Medicaid advertising ban