TV Shows are Fine When:
- They encourage creativity and
- They encourage responding, singing,
dancing and reading.
- They teach values that are important
- They help kids appreciate all
cultures and people.
- Kids want to learn more about
what they see.
TV Shows are a Problem When:
- They show violence as a way to
- They show things that scare or
- They take up too much of a child's
- You don't like the way your children
act after watching a show.
Some Ways You Can Help Your Child
When You are Watching Television
- If someone on television is learning
something you feel good about,
you could ask your child to do
it or say it along with the person
on the screen.
- When children see someone on
television making something, they
often want to try it, too. It's
a good feeling when a child says
with a proud smile, "Look what
- When there is quiet time on a
program, children can have time
to think and to feel. If you are
nearby, your child may want to
share those thoughts and feelings
Listening to what your child thinks
about something on television, you
might hear some things you never
expected - things that help you better
understand your child. That is one
of the best gifts television and
a parent can give!